As the seasons change, the threat of flu looms, particularly concerning for seniors and their families. Being informed and prepared can make a significant difference in managing flu symptoms effectively. We’ll also explore the advantages of using DocGo On-Demand’s mobile healthcare and telehealth visits for urgent care, preventive care, and chronic condition management during flu season.
How to prepare for flu season?
For seniors and their families, preparation is key to staying healthy during flu season:
- Get Vaccinated: Annual flu vaccinations are crucial for seniors to protect against severe flu symptoms and complications.
- Boost Immunity: Maintain a healthy diet, exercise routine, and adequate sleep to strengthen your immune system.
- Hand Hygiene: Regular handwashing can help prevent the spread of flu viruses.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of fluids helps keep your immune system strong and aids recovery if you get sick.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on flu advisories and updates from reputable health sources.
Is it a cold or is it the flu?
The flu and the common cold often present with similar symptoms, but differentiating between these seasonal illnesses can help you determine the appropriate level of care. Here are some common characteristics of each disease:
- Cold Symptoms: Mild symptoms like runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, and a sore throat are common with colds.
- Flu Symptoms: High fever, body aches, extreme fatigue, and a dry cough are more characteristic of the flu.
When should I seek urgent care for flu symptoms?
Since seniors are a high-risk group, visiting your primary care physician or urgent care facility may be advisable even if your flu symptoms are only mild to moderate. Your clinician will be able to diagnose your flu with a blood test and prescribe antivirals if you are eligible. Influenza antivirals should be prescribed quickly after symptoms appear to be most effective, so seeking treatment without delay can help ensure that you feel better sooner and recover without complications.
If you experience breathing difficulties, chest pain, sudden dizziness, or other severe symptoms, please seek medical help right away by visiting your nearest emergency room or calling 9-1-1.
Can I get flu treatment at home with DocGo On-Demand?
DocGo On-Demand offers mobile healthcare visits as well as telehealth, making it safer and easier for seniors and their families to seek treatment and avoid exposure during flu season. Their range of services includes urgent care, preventive care, and chronic condition management including remote patient monitoring so you can get care when and where you need it. Some benefits of this mobile care model include:
- Convenience: Avoid crowded clinics and transportation barriers by receiving care at home.
- Personalized Care: Healthcare professionals assess your condition within your familiar environment and offer a tailored approach.
- Reduced Exposure: Minimize contact with potential flu carriers, reducing the risk of contagion.
- Prompt Attention: Timely care is crucial during flu season, and home visits may provide faster access to medical attention.
Preparing for flu season and knowing when to seek medical attention are essential steps in safeguarding seniors’ health. By getting vaccinated, practicing good hygiene, and being aware of your symptoms, you can take proactive measures against the flu. For urgent care and other healthcare needs during flu season, especially for seniors and patients with chronic conditions, DocGo On-Demand’s mobile healthcare visits offer a safe, convenient, and personalized option.
Remember, staying informed and prepared empowers seniors and their families to navigate flu season with confidence. For more guidelines about seniors and flu season, visit this resource from the NFID. To learn more about DocGo On-Demand, visit our FAQ page or call 844-44DOCGO.